Thursday 15 October 2015

Loas travel update

I have to admit, I knew hardly anything of Laos before I got there. I had in my mind small towns and markets in the county side surrounded by vast mountainous land. Perhaps a slightly less touristy version of Thailand. Which is mostly true, however so much more beautiful than I had imagined. Right now I am wishing I had written in my little travel book because I'm already finding things hard to remember 6 months on, typically that lasted 1 week) anyway I'm writing this to help me remember...

Our first journey consisted of a long 6 hours on a slow boat down the Mekong river. The views surrounding us were so beautiful I pretty much just stared out the 'window' the whole time. Although, this was two weeks in, as my new friends had already pointed out, I was as pale as a ginger. So Ash and I took to 6 hours of quality sunbathing (factor 15). I don't know what we were thinking, I had to hide my sun blisters/burn in the shade for the next two weeks and I'm pretty sure Ash still has vest tan lines 6 months on. I now wear factor 50 on my face everyday in England and I hate myself for those 2 months of factor 15-30 in South East Asia.

After 6 long hours, we heaved out backpacks across a tiny 'safe' plank (health and safety doesn't exist here) and up a large dusty hill to do our first home stay. We met all the kids in this tiny little village at their school and taught them some basic English (In other words sung Heads Shoulders, Knees and Toes), and played games with them until dinner.

The people of the village then gave us a welcoming ceremony, and we all got these (sweat) bands around our wrists, one from every person there, which we had to wear for weeks for good luck. We were also introduced to Laos version of whisky (which I miss) and amazing sweet stick rice for the ritual. They then cooked us some amazing food, which was slightly worrying for a veggie, as most of the vegetarian options looked more like meat than the others. Note to self- Jack fruit tastes better with your eyes closed and along side whisky. We then slept on the floor wrapped in our mosquito nets, sweating away for the night whilst someone gave birth next door. ( Miles from any hospital)

Next stop Luang Prabang, after another 6 hours on the slow boat .-This time in the shade. We had a little stop in the Pak Ou Caves which was filled with Buddha statuses. Luang Prabang is French colonial inspired, and after weeks of no bread, the bakeries lining the streets were well needed. The days here were filled with Crepes, whisky, Poker, tiny kittens, getting kicked out of bowling alleys, more whisky and even more cakes, There was a really big night market here which was fab,because I love a bargin, and of course the most famous waterfall of Luang Prabang, Kuang Si Falls. Which was beautiful but freezing cold.



Our next stop was the most touristy area of Laos, Vang Vieng, and one of the worst/beautiful journeys. 7 hours of bouncing out our seats up, down and all around the mountains. Luckily I don't get travel sick and could enjoy the views. There was even a loo right at the top, probably the most scenic and favorite wee I have done so far in life..




Tubing was the best thing of Vang Vieng for sure. A massive group of us have been travelling together for the whole of Laos and all get on really well, which made it extra fun, miss those guys. We all went down the river in rubber rings stopping every 5 minutes at the next bar. The whiskey is so strong, I think this was the drunkest I was the whole trip. By the fifth bar I lost my sunglasses in the river and then got separated from everyone else with ash, we somehow ended up in our room and slept for 5 hours. By the time we woke up everyone else was still drinking and was on a whole over level, they all looked completely possessed- can't even explain how weird this scene was. Crazy Hotdawgs

        Kayaking down the stillest river with one of our fave couples, arm ache definitely worth while.



Caving in flipflops at the blue lagoon.

As rough as the car journeys were in Laos, they were so eye opening and beautiful. Small villages are dotted around in the middle of nowhere. Houses are small shacks or on stilts, and all the kids and their families wave and shout Sabaidi (hello) and run towards us. Laos people are so friendly its so refreshing. There are also super skinny cows and tiny cats everywhere in the roads as your driving through.


Vientiane the capital next. We only stopped here briefly but this was where we learnt about how many unexploded bombs there are in Laos that were dropped over wasteland during the Viennese war. There is still so many injuring people everyday while their farming by their homes.


Kong Lorr, Probably my favorite spot in Laos. It is tiny village surrounded by rice paddies, limestone  Mountains and tobacco fields. We went through this 7km cave on a tiny boat right through the centre of the mountain, which took a whole hour to get to the other side. It was pitch black so we all wore head lights, super creepy to think what was lurking in those waters.













Feeding aggressive monkeys bananas was scarier than it sounds, although this little guy below was pretty calm. Once we got inside the forest and they knew we had food, all we could hear was thuds as monkeys fell to the ground from the trees. There was at least 50 monkeys surrounding us snatching bananas at one point. Although apparently mine were too green for their liking, so I was literally chasing them around trying to make them take my bananas by the end.

The same day we also visited a lake full of soft shelled turtles, they only appear when you sing the turtle song. They looked like giant foreskins and eat sticky rice off of sticks.- Enough said,


I am truly one of the most clumsy people I know. One of the most annoying disasters I had in Laos was dropping my phone down a toilet (very similar to the one below). I just casually went for a wee and left the zip of my little bum bag around my waist open. Did a little squat and "plop", not a poo but my phone and bank card chilling in the bottom. Yes I did put my hand in to get them out, yes my phone did work after (left it in rice-non sticky), and yes I do still use this phone to this day. Moving on...


The night after this we stayed in a village where we had the most amazing traditional food, and then got drunk on whisky with the locals and the kids (they weren't drinking).. It was all fun and games, they were obsessed with selfies,but that was all good. But as the night went one the kids started poking us up the bum and chasing us. Not normal

We left the next day for Pakse.

The only thing I can remember from this day was the massive waterfall we all swam into. The closer you got to it the harder it was to swim, The current was so strong, and I couldn't breath or see from all the water being chucked in my face. Finally I was pulled up, this was the moment I realized I am not a strong swimmer. 

If anyone remembers and did the ice bucket challenge, this is what it felt like, but with 1000 buckets. I'm surprised my bikini didn't fall off. -Thank god because I would have been long gone. Just like the bikini I left out to dry during a monsoon... RIP.

The final spot in Laos before we headed to Cambodia was Don Det (thousand Island), literally smokers paradise. There are no police so everyone just does what they want. Its so laid back, theres not much to do but chill and swim. But it was a lovely end to Laos.

I hope this wasn't too boring to read all of. Next stop Cambodia.

More photos on my Facebook and Instagram. (and Ash'-Lumberash)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Author